All you need:
1 (8 oz.) brick cream cheese, room temperature
1 (10.5 oz.) log plain goat cheese, room temperature
1 tablespoon milk
6 pitted medjool dates, finely chopped (a food processor works well for this)
1 small shallot, finely chopped
Zest of 1 lemon
¼ teaspoon kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
½ cup finely chopped toasted walnuts
Buttery crackers, for serving
All you do:
1. Place cream cheese, goat cheese and milk in a stand mixer and beat until smooth, about 1 minute.
2. Add chopped dates, shallot, lemon zest, salt and pepper and beat again to combine.
3. Transfer the cheese mixture to a large sheet of plastic wrap and form into a ball. Wrap tightly and place in the fridge for at least 2 hours.
4. Place thyme and chopped walnuts in a large bowl and stir to combine. Unwrap the cheese ball from the plastic wrap and roll in the nut mixture.
5. Transfer the cheese ball to a serving platter. Serve immediately or keep cold until ready to serve. Serves 10.
By Jen Plaggemars, private chef, registered dietitian and owner of Chef Jen LLC