By Marilyn Nagelkirk and Carol Lozano,
Kitchen West Design Studio
With the kitchen as the heart of the home and a main gathering area for loved ones, it’s important to stay on top of contemporary trends and designs to create a functional-yet-elegant space.
Here are some quick tips and insights on popular kitchen trends for 2018.
Colors, textures and finishes
• While painted cabinetry is still trending, new and bolder hues and textures are making their ways into kitchens.
• Aim for blues and greens for accent colors. Darker colors are trending with a flat topcoat and a low sheen.
• Textural finishes, from burnished to metallic, are being used for enhancements.
• Try matte black, brushed brass, gold, rose gold and automotive finishes.
• When designing your kitchen space, keep things clean and simple.
• Use less space, but with more functional and purposeful storage for a variety of utensils, dishware and small appliances.
• Add some neo-industrial style with reclaimed woods and metals.
• Place Edison bulbs throughout your space.
• Decorate your kitchen with black matte and brass faucets, and copper tones.
• There’s currently a heavy emphasis on solution-driven functionality in technology.
• Purchase connected appliances or smart appliances for the emerging convergence of technology and design.
• Opt for drawers and doors with electronic opening features.
Kitchen must-haves include: purposeful storage, under-counter lighting, twin compartment trash bins, LeMans corner cabinets and open shelving.
Spruce up on a budget with: new cabinet hardware, faucets, backsplash, lighting fixtures and fresh paint.
Increase your home’s value with: new countertops, appliances, sinks and faucets.
Light it up: Try LED, integrated and snap panel lighting.
Get outside: Outdoor kitchens are trending now more than ever; transform your outdoor space into a functional, relaxing escape for the warmer seasons.
150 Center St., Douglas